Because Salsa Can't Be Cured

Friday, October 06, 2006

Trouble on the Dance Floor

It started out like an ordinary night. We headed to the club, met up with some friends, and then waited through hours of cumbia until the salsa finally started.

Orquesta Rumba Cafe was playing, and as usual, they were giving a good performance. Some locals had complained to me that Rumba Cafe always played the same salsa songs. But, I wasn't complaining. I hadn't been dancing regularly for months. The fact that I could hear a band at all was a gift. The salsa they were playing was HOT. And I was loving it.

It looked like the band was, too, because as the night went on, they started playing more and more salsa. But, during a set break, the DJ started playing reggaeton. And that's when it all started going wrong.

I don't dance reggaeton or bachata, not because I have anything against those dances, but because I dont think my wife would appreciate me freak dancing at the club while she was home with the kids. When she's singing, I have similar types of expectations for her, so I try to honor my side of the deal when I'm out dancing salsa.

Anyway, the reggaeton is on, we're sitting around at the table, and some of the posse starts having fun by clowning and dancing in their seats. It was all in good fun. Unfortunately, it attracted the attention of a table full of drunk guys around the way.

Without getting lost in the details, lets just say that these guys asked some of my friends to dance. My friends agreed. The guys then proceeded to grope them, at which point things got ugly.

A Note to the Gentlemen. When a lady walks off the dance floor, do not grab her and try to restrain her. It won't end well for you. If she doesnt create an absolute spectacle that forces the bouncers to kick you out, then her friends will notice and end up doing it for you. That's pretty much what happened at Gemini on Sunday night.

Afterwards, I was fairly shocked. In the many years I've been going to Gemini on and off, I've never had a problem like that. I've never even SEEN that type of stuff go down. But, I guess given enough time, the law of averages catches up with you.

I can't say it was a total loss tho. It added a little bit of spice to an otherwise ordinary night. And, it almost gave me a chance to combine the two things I love to do - jiu jitsu and salsa. At any rate, Gemini is still the best salsa night in town, and I refuse to let a couple of jerks ruin my favorite spot. So, next weekend, you can bet we'll be back. See you on the dance floor!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home