Because Salsa Can't Be Cured

Friday, September 29, 2006

Cuban Salsa Rules

People always ask me what style I dance. Because I usually dance on 1, they think it's LA. But when they see me move, they realize its way too circular for LA style. No one ever mistakes me for an on 2 dancer, even when I dance on 2. Seems like you have to be a bit effeminate to really look good on 2. So, what then?

Well, the truth is, I've always been a fan of Cuban style. To me, there is nothing better. The raw power and vigor of their dance totally destroys a lot of the sissy dancing you see in the more westernized forms... and I'm talking about everyone here.

You can get mad at me if you want to. But I'm not knocking your style. I'm just giving you a look at the world through my eyes. I dont dance salsa to look pretty. I don't do it to glide across the floor. I don't do it to socialize. I dance salsa to feel power coursing through my body. I dance salsa to feel alive. I dance salsa to get high. I've bunji jumped before. It was kinda thrilling. I'd rather dance salsa.

I might like watching salsa, but there's nothing to watch. I've seen all the competitions around from both coasts and overseas, and I haven't seen anything to get excited about in years. Last year I gave away my salsa collection of 300+ HOURS of footage because there was nothing in it to see. Out of that vast horde, I kept three tapes. All cuban.

It's gotten to the point that, if there are performances at an event, I make sure not to show up until they are over. Because, for the most part, watching that sh*t is a complete waste of time. If I wanted to watch people trying to dance, I'd teach a class.

But you know what?

...all it takes to get my heart POUNDING is some leaked footage from Cuba. Seeing real Cuban dancers doing their thing... its like finding out that the light has not yet gone out of this world. A few years ago, scientists discovered that a prehistoric fish that was previously thought extinct was actually alive in the waters off of Africa. The discovery sent shockwaves through the scientific community.

That's how I feel about Cuban style.

You want to see what I mean, take a look at this video below. Total. Annihilation. Forget that stuff you see on TV, this is what real dancing looks like. A little too flashy? Yes. A little rough around the edges? Hell yeah. But RAW!

I'm not saying cuban style is perfect. I'm not saying on 1 or on 2 sucks. All I'm saying is that if you judged a dance style by the amount of adrenaline it produces, then cuban style would own all others by a keg. I know I'm going to catch hell for speaking my mind. All I can say is bring it. But watch this video first, and tell me I'm wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home